What are Confluence User Macros ?
If you run your own Confluence instance (Server or Data Center) you can, as an administrator, create custom “User Macros”, little scripts that can be included in pages creating content on the fly. With those macros you can create simple HTML code as well as utilize Velocity code accessing information from your Confluence database.
I will not address the basics of writing a user macro here. That is well documented in the Confluence documenation here.
My User Macros
Along my work as a Confluence administrator I ran into several situations where native Confluence Server features did not offer what my admins or my users needed. Plugins were not available either or too expensive for the purpose. In many of those cases a user macro was just the right solution to the challenge. The Confluence user community helped me a lot writing them. Here are my most useful ones as my contribution back to that community.
Installing User Macros in Confluence (Server or Data Center)
Note: User Macros are not available in Confluence Cloud!
- Login as administrator
- Go to “General Configuration”, then select “User Macros” from the menu on the left
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Create a User Macro”
- Enter the appropriate Macro Browser Information
- Select the macro body option according to the macro you want to add
- Paste the macro source code into the Template field
- Click Save